What is Netiquette? Netiquette for students
What is Netiquette? Netiquette Vs Etiquette.
What is the importance of Netiquette?
What is online etiquette?
Netiquette means net + etiquettes or the online etiquettes. It means following social etiquette while working online. It simply means the etiquette you are supposed to exhibit while using the internet. When you are online it doesn’t matter which device you use but what matters is your online behavior or the etiquette according to which you get the response.
Netiquettes means the network etiquette that one should follow e.i.to be polite and respectful on the internet. We need not be conscious of our online behavior, actually, it is our etiquette that follows us where ever we go, whatever we do be it online communication or offline communication. So, those who know the etiquettes follow the netiquettes too unconsciously. Now, it is essential to know about etiquette.
What is etiquette?
Etiquette means the formal behavior or manners that we are expected to follow while interacting with others i.e., parents, family, friends, strangers, or colleagues. At the end of the day, it is your behavior or etiquette only that makes your image in the eyes of others. It is a life skill and according to this people treat you.
Etiquette is about respecting others’ privacy, it is about respecting women, it is about doing something responsibly, it is about showing kindness, it is about just behaving in the way, you expect others to do. Etiquette makes you confident as you know you are doing all good. Etiquette is the only criteria that define a well-mannered person. Etiquette is the only thing that follows you all the time where ever you go and of course, you get feedback accordingly.
Etiquette is not just smiling all the time or saying thanks for everything but etiquette can be seen in one’s eye movements, in one’s gestures, responses, etc.
What are the advantages of Etiquette?
- It is believed that etiquette helps to overcome many problems in life because good-mannered and pleasing behaviors are liked by everyone.
- Etiquette helps to win the confidence of people; it enhances your image among others.
- Etiquette helps to create a good impression on others.
- Etiquette results in positive behavior from others.
- Etiquette promotes kindness, consideration, and humility.
- Etiquette gives us the confidence to deal with different situations in life, it gives us life skills.
- Etiquette enhances your individual image; it eliminates discourteous behavior.
- Etiquette helps us to know how to behave and conduct ourselves in different environments.
15 basic Netiquettes we should follow:
Some basic Netiquettes we should follow are :
1. Be simple and easy: Always use simple and easy language so that everyone can easily understand
2. Be genuine: Always post correct content in the proper language.
3. Don’t Abuse: Don’t abuse others if you do not agree with their post.
4. Never spam: Don’t send the same post again and again.
5. Privacy: Respect other people’s privacy. Don’t publicly identify or post private information of anyone without their permission.
6. Stick to the topic: Be concise and to the point, don’t make the discussion lengthy. Always stick to the topic of the discussion.
7. Be ready: Before using any new application with others, while participating in any group video conferencing we should know the use of that application so that we can confidently use it.
8. Do not write in CAPITALS: When you write in CAPITALS it seems as if you are shouting.
9. Be punctual: Should try to be punctual to attend video conferencing or respond to any mail or text on time.
10. Use emoticons or abbreviations carefully: Be careful about the use of emojis. Should try to use positive emojis.
11. Imagine the person: Always think of the person with whom you are communicating, and respond accordingly by keeping in mind that person’s gender, age, post, mentality, and knowledge about the topic of discussion and knowledge about the device/tool used for communication. Because though you are communicating virtually but on the other end that actual person exits.
12. Be patient: Don’t ever respond in anger or hurry because once you have responded you can’t change it. Even if you are deleting your response one can take a screenshot. So, first read, try to understand, and then respond.
13. Avoid hate speech: Always try to avoid all types of hate speech because it not only creates many types of personal /social problems but also ruins your image.
14. Respect the time or others: After sending any mail or text do not expect an instant response. Because everyone has his/her own time and schedule for everything. So, we should not keep messaging/calling for getting an instant message unless it is very urgent.
15. Use correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling: Always try to use correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling otherwise it distracts the goal of the message. So be sure about the correctness of your text, if needed you can use features/tools available for checking the grammar and spelling.
Netiquettes for students:
What are the Netiquettes for students?
How netiquettes are important for students?
The online behavior which we should exhibit while surfing the net is called netiquette. So, for students, it is essential to follow online etiquette to make the goal of using the internet successfully. Nowadays all the students are using the internet some for online classes, some for online quizzes, for exams, for conversation or debates, etc. if netiquette (online etiquette) is not followed, the aim will not be fulfilled. It is netiquette only that makes online learning successful.
Students should follow the following netiquettes:
- Students should never abuse anyone online.
- Do not repeatedly send or post unwanted emails or messages.
- Write in clear language. Do not use slang language.
- Think twice before posting anything because whatever you post online is public, and anyone can read it.
- Always stand against cyberbullying, and inform your parents or teachers about it.
- Without permission never use anyone else’s work.
- Always mention the source of the information used.
What are the online etiquettes for students?
What are the safe surfing habits for students?
- Do not download free media as it may carry viruses or malware etc.
- Do not give any personal information online without asking your parents.
- Do not give payment-related information, ever. Let your parents handle that.
- Try not to use public networks and computers.
- Keep changing your passwords regularly.
- Never share your current location on social media without your parents’ permission.
- Do not respond to abusive messages. Take a copy of the abusive messages and bring it to the notice of your parents/ elders or teachers.
- Share the new information with your parents.
Netiquettes – Parents’ role :
Netiquettes – Parents’ role : Parents have to take more of an active role in both what their kids are doing and in what they themselves are doing. If I don’t want my kids to do anything then I should not do it in front of them. At the end of the day, all online manners are just followed by offline manners. We need to teach them about the very reflective, public, and permanent nature of the online world. We know our kids learn much more from watching than being lectured.
- Talk with your child about their online friends, whom they are following, their Instagram group, etc. Teach them about their online reputation. they have to be very careful about their post.
- Trust your child but at the same time monitor your child when they are online.
- If possible set timings for using the internet. In case of using mobile try to give WiFi so that you can know when they are using the internet.
- It is wise to use parental controls/search restrictions offered by web browsers. To turn it on go to Settings/SafeSearchFilters.